Basic terminologies used for a window treatment

Window treatments can dramatically increase the aesthetic view of a room by offering a graceful finishing touch to the décor. But selecting the ideal window treatment for your home décor is not an easy task. Window treatment is not about one or two things; it is a combination of many factors, which when blended together in a correct manner gives a luxurious touch to the whole theme of room décor. So, before planning a window treatment for your home, you must be aware of a few basic terminologies used in a window treatment that are essential for the proper décor of your window.

Here is a list of some common terms used in the process of window treatment.



Blackouts: These are window panels created with the intention of blocking out sunlight and providing an insulating character to the windows so that the air inside the room cannot escape outside and the heat outside cannot enter the rooms in an easy manner. These draperies are also utilized for the reduction of exterior noise. Basically such draperies have lined or coated window panels and the fabric used for the drapery is heavyweight in nature.




Blinds: These are components of window treatments that are created from metal, plastic, wood or heavyweight fabric. They are placed in horizontal or vertical slats which are held in place by cord, string or fabric tape.





Brackets: It is an element of drapery hardware that is utilized for the purpose of providing support to a drapery rod. Brackets are attached to the walls.



cellular shades



Cellular shade: Cellular shade is basically a shade that is used to provide a superior level of window insulation. This shade is multi-layered or pleated in nature and features a distinct “honeycomb” fabric construction.




Curtains: Curtains are static window coverings that are unlined in nature. They are constructed from lightweight fabric and are usually hung to cover windows using a curtain rod or decorative pole. They are often used in combination with tiebacks or holdbacks, which are used to hold the curtains back.





Draperies: Though draperies and curtains seem to be similar in nature, actually they have some different features. Draperies are created from a heavier fabric as compared to the curtains. They can either be dynamic or static in nature and a track is used to aid their mobility. They can be used in combination with fabric tiebacks or fixed holdbacks that are attached on both sides of the window.





Finial: Finial is an end-piece that is decorative in nature and available in a variety of shapes and designs. Their functional purpose is to prevent the drapery from slipping off the sides of the rod. These end caps are also used as decorative items to feature on top of drapery holdbacks.


grommet top



Grommet-top: Grommets are rings made of metal, rubber or plastic. They are also called eyelets and are used to support a hole in the fabric at the top of the drapery or curtain through which a curtain rod is passed.





Holdbacks: Holdbacks are used to keep in place the curtain or drapery panels when they are pulled to the sides of the panel in order to keep the panels open.






Panel: Panel is a single curtain or drapery. Generally a window treatment needs two panels, one for each side.



rod pocket



Rod pocket: A sleeve that is stitched in a horizontal manner across the top of the draperies or curtains. This sleeve allows a rod to be passed through.




roll up shade



Roll-up shade and roller shade: These are flat shades that are created from fabric, vinyl or plastic. They are rolled up onto a cylinder. Roll-up shades requires strings or cords to draw up. Roller shades use springs to load.



roman shade



Roman shade: The Roman shade is a classic styled fabric that creates pleats as the shade is drawn up. These pleats are created by rings threaded with cords or tapes that are sewn on the backside of the fabric and permit the shade to be raised or lowered.






Shade: Shades are a term that is generally used to describe blinds, pleated shades, roller shades and other window coverings of opaque nature. They can be regulated either to expose or cover a window.





Sheers: These are lightweight and translucent in nature and finely woven fabrics are used to create them.

Swag: It is a kind of decorative window treatment component that is placed atop windows featuring a soft, curved semicircle centered on the window top and fabric hanging from both sides of this arrangement.

tab top



Tab-top: These are loops made of fabrics or tabs that are sewn across curtain tops and which enable a curtain rod to pass through it. This window treatment hangs in a flat and straight manner.





Valances: This is yet another window treatment component that is used to cover the top portion of a window. It is generally used at the top layer of a layered window treatment or as a decorative accent that stands alone.



These are the basic terminologies of a window treatment. Knowing their meaning in a clear manner will help you to determine exactly what component you desire for your window treatment.


Note: All the images used in post are meant for graphical purpose and collected from online sources, so if any image by mistake holds the copyright we apolozise for the inadvertent error.